Work! Work! Work!

On Monday I transplanted the squash and cucumber into a bed where radish and onions have been growing. So far the plants look pretty good but I’m concerned that I may have disturbed a few roots when I was removing the top edge of the peat pots they were planted in. Cucurbits don’t like their roots to be messed with. I finished out the bed by planting 8 more hills of squash and a few marigolds. I’m hoping the onions, radish, and marigold will help keep away the shield beetles (also called squash bug or stink bug). I’ve already seen one hanging around the compost bin. I also managed to get that weedy corn bed cleaned up and some corn and green beans planted in it. The tomato plants transplanted well, I stuck a few marigolds around them too.

It seems we have some ‘mystery’ tomato plants growing in a pot with peppers. The seed company sent us a packet of California Wonder Bell peppers that apparently had a few tomato seeds mixed in. It’ll be a challenge to discover which variety they are. Eventually, we’ll plant only open pollinated Rutgers tomatoes but this year we just couldn’t stand the thought of throwing out our ‘mystery’ tomato plants. They’ll be ready for the garden in about 2-3 weeks.

Yesterday I transplanted those lima plants into the 5’x6′ bed. These limas are an experiment to test my seed starting and transplanted abilities. As of quitting time yesterday the plants were still standing. I also planted a bed full of lima bean seeds. I think I prefer transplanting instead of direct seeding because transplanting eliminates the need to thin later thus saving considerable time in the long run, and the transplants can grow to cover the soil much quicker thus reducing weed growth and quickly establish a mini micro-climate under their canopy which will improve root growth by improving water absorption and retention. Besides, thinning seems like such a waste to me.

This compost pile is just about ready to be turned. To add nitrogen to it I layered in green cereal rye that had been dug out of the planting beds. Now look at it. The ‘green’ has grown! The rye has taken root around the outside edge of the pile. I might wait until after the rye dies back before I try to turn it. It should be gone by the middle of May.  

Here’s a picture of a garden trellis that my brother gave me. He made it himself. I’ve got it attached to a post that supports a water spicket. Yesterday I planted Morning Glories inside the tire that surrounds the post. The flowers will get the full brunt of the morning sun just as it rises above the tree line to the east of the field. They will be absolutely beautiful twisting there long vines clear to the top of the eight foot trellis. Thanks Brother.

It rained quite a bit early this morning so I haven’t been to the garden yet. I’ll probably spend the afternoon organizing all of the market ‘things’ that I’ve piled up in the family room. Things like paper pulp containers, table covers, baskets, signs, etc. are piled everywhere. I’ll work on an About Us page too, and type up a brochure that we’ll hand out at the market. Farm work is never done.